Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Classy Halloween

It isn’t an oxymoron to have classy Halloween. Indeed, one can classy almost anything including life style. But “Classy Halloween” in here is sadly just a play on word. Classy means “In Class” or “With Class”, to be surrounded by 4 walls, 20-30 students and teacher who is trying desperately to make the topics interesting enough to make me forget that I am missing great time with my daughters.

Miss ‘M’ wants to be a Cat but as far as I know she does not have the costume. Beside she has a strap throat so she will have to have limited participation. Miss ‘I’ wants to be ‘the same every Halloween’, as criticized by Miss M often, … yes, you guessed it … Princess. And she does have the many costumes for that purpose. In any case, after the candies start floating, none of this will matter and the sugar rush will keep them awake long after I roll home at last in the shadows of the bright moon.

But don’t let me paint myself as a victim here. In addition to being school which is my choice, I do have to say that the Halloween for me just feels OK but it seems to miss something … the next day.

Being from 100% catholic country, The All Saint Days is uniquely absent in the place where I live in USA. My wife tells me in France some people also practice this day and so do some people in USA. But from what I see, it is far from what I remember from Poland … cemeteries full of candles, the smell of burning candles and whatever else kids put in them after dark …

One of these days I take my kids to Poland on November 1st so they can see it … if it is still going to be there, that is.

Just in ... one of the students came into class ... she is an angle and has hallo above her head. The teacher also put a hat on her head. Not sure what she is supposed to be but it fits her well ...

When in Rom, do as Romans.
Still, I miss the smell of the candles ...

No comments: